- Student-Loan Debt.
- Psychopathologizing and Medicating Noncompliance.
- Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy.
- “No Child Left Behind” and “Race to the Top.”
- Shaming Young People Who Take Education—But Not Their Schooling—Seriously.
- The Normalization of Surveillance.
- Fundamentalist Religion and Fundamentalist Consumerism.
I do volunteer work for an organization in Houston that helps dogs in a specific area and pulls them off the streets if they’re in desperate need. There’s no better feeling than trapping a seemingly feral dog the org has been watching for a year only to get her in the trap, ignore the growling, and get kisses on the hand after.
I LOVE ANIMAL RESCUE.
When I’m not busy finishing up my undergrad in Public Relations/Political Science, I work in campaigns/fundraising. In my spare-spare time, I also foster puppies who were abused, neglected, or dumped. For the next two weeks I’ll be fostering three pups (Boudreaux pictured above!): Boudreaux, Breesy, and Nola. Boudreaux got to go to work with me today - he’s really great at helping sort through FEC filings!
“One male poet approached me after a performance and said, “I don’t mean to be rude, but do you ever write about anything other than the struggles of women?” I replied, “I don’t mean to be rude, but take your finger off the trigger and I’ll stop.” After all, who among us ever wanted to speak about these things? What little girl dreams of growing up to write ‘rape poems?’ About violence? About the muffled voices of women worldwide?” -Andrea Gibson